The weather is starting to come around after what I am sure was the longest winter in the history of the Earth. This always makes me happy because it means RUNNING weather! Jack is about old enough to do some small races himself, and Isla is just about old enough to handle the good ole running stroller! I know some may be a bit paranoid to join an official race with their kiddos, but I assure you, after being in the scene for awhile, it’s a fun way to show your children just how enjoyable being active and the outdoors can be. If you’re new to the running scene, I’ve compiled a list of five very fun and family friendly races in Fort Worth during the month of May.
- Mayfest Run (May 3): Mayfest is probably one of the biggest annual festivals in Fort Worth. Why not get your run on before you chow down on some funnel cakes and cotton candy? This run has a USATF certified 10K, 5K, and a 1K fun run in Trinity Park along the banks of the Trinity River. All participants receive free Mayfest admission.
- Buffalo Boogie 2014 (May 10): This race benefits the Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge. You can choose from a 1 mile or a 5K walk and fun run for individuals, groups, families, dogs, and baby strollers! After the race, you can enjoy live country music, activities for children, and good food.
- Run and Ride the Chisholm Trail Parkway (May 10): This is a ONCE-IN-A-LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY to run or ride on the 28-mile toll road. Distances include 1 mile, 5k, and half marathon run and 12 mile, 33 mile, and 48 mile bike rides. Proceeds from the event benefit two well-respected non-profit organizations, whose support for neglected and abused children spans the entire length of the Chisholm Trail Parkway: CASA of Tarrant County and CASA of Johnson County.
- 2014 Second Chance Run (May 17): This 1 mile or 5k race takes place in our lovely Fort Worth Stockyards. The Donate Life Texas 2nd Chance Run honors organ and tissue donors in more than 109 Texas counties in North, Southeast, and West Texas.
- Mission Possible (May 24): The Alliance 4th Annual Mission Possible 10K, 5K, and 1 mile is produced by Alliance United Methodist Church to raise money for their missionaries to travel domestically and internationally to serve and be God’s hands and feet. Dress in your best patriotic costume! Dogs on leashes are welcome!
Activities are happening all year around. Participating in local running races is a great way to incorporate the whole family in a healthy activity that will create bonding moments to last a lifetime. Happy running!
What local races do you support? Spread the word! Tell us your favorite.