We polled our friends, neighbors, readers — even the tellers at our bank — and compiled this exhaustive list of weird pregnancy cravings. Names have been omitted to protect the innocent.
Pickles and Peanut Butter
This is a thing; it’s true. While not all the items on this list combine the two, they clearly show a trend in pregnancy food cravings.
- Peanut butter sandwich with nacho cheese Doritos in the middle.
- Peanut butter and pickle sandwiches.
- A spoonful of peanut butter, topped with Irish butter.
- Pickles and peanut butter with a Coke .
- Ramen noodles with pickle juice.
- Pickles with crushed up Funyuns.
- Peanut butter and chocolate cookies.
Some pregnancy cravings are simply un-categorizeable. Whether a one-off oddity or a — ahem — UNIQUE flavor combo, pregnant women crave it all.
- Tuna fish with chocolate milk.
- Tuna, tuna, TUNA. Like, enough for her OB/GYN to recommend a calendar of mercury consumption.
- Black olives, sour cream, and pickled beets. Together.
- Straight up, whole lemons. Actually, anything sour in general.
- Corn flakes (dry, no milk) with a side of tomato juice with lime and salt.
- Chinese food and Krispy Kreme donuts. Together.
- Cottage cheese, a hamburger patty, and pineapple. In the same bite.
- French fries dipped in a chocolate milkshake. (Maybe this one isn’t SO odd.)
- Chili dogs WITH ketchup.
Yup. That about sums it up.
- Hellmann’s Mayonnaise.
- Olive Garden salad dressing. Like, to drink.
- Dill pickle chips with lemonade — and they had to be LAY’S Dill Pickle Flavored Potato Chips.
- Homemade ranch dressing with Ruffles Original Potato Chips.
- Lima beans with butter and garlic. Pounds per week.
- Only green, Granny Smith apples with peanut butter.
- Red Powerade. NOT Gatorade; Powerade.
- The skin of a baked potato.
- A turkey sandwich with a honeycrisp apple — and the apple had to be from Central Market.
- Snickers, chips and salsa, and pickles (at the same time, but eaten separately).
Love Me Some Fast Food
Ahhhhh yeah! You don’t have to be pregnant to crave the neon signs, drive-throughs, and takeout menus on this list. But it helps.
- McDonald’s breakfast bagels and iced coffee.
- Taco Bell bean burritos with green sauce.
- Sonic foot-long chili-cheese coneys.
- Pizza Hut buffet (never before or since pregnancy).
- Whataburger onion rings.
- Galligaskin’s cheese sticks.
- Jack in the Box — chili cheese fries or potato cheese wedges.
- Luby’s fried fish and collard greens (never before or since).
- Baja gorditas from Taco Bell, Arby’s sandwiches, and McDonald’s hamburgers. Alternate weekly.
- Anything from Braum’s!
- Chick-fil-A nuggets (from a devout vegetarian).
- Taco Bell chicken quesadillas.
- Chinese takeout. Egg rolls.
- Hamburger pizza.
Not Too Crazy
Here’s the thing about some of these. They’re not totally off the wall. Either they just get inside your head and constantly nag . . . or mama might need to practice some moderation. We’re not judging.
- Ketchup. Like, as a legit component of the weekly meal plan.
- Pasta: spaghetti, ramen noodles, or macaroni and cheese.
- Deviled eggs.
- Dairy. You name it. Cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, whole milk.
- Anything mayonnaise-based.
- Chicken wings.
- Fried okra.
- Pineapple juice. Gallons of it.
- Sea salt & vinegar potato chips.
- Goldfish crackers.
- Steak/burgers/red meat.
- Cereal. Like, one family-size box per day. (Froot Loops, Special K, and Honey Nut Cheerios were some of the top mentions.)
- Steak and broccoli. For every meal except breakfast.
- Hot dogs (never before or since).
Dat Spice Though
Heat definitely warrants its own category. What is it about spice that speaks to a pregnant woman’s cravings?
- Cajun food.
- Salsa. By the spoonful.
- Chicken fajitas for every single meal.
- Jalapeños (never before or since).
- Spicy Asian food (Pad Thai, curries, spicy Korean pork, Szechuan anything, etc. )
- Hot sauce. With a side of bean burrito.
- Frito pie, extra cheese.
ALL the Sweets
Isn’t this so relatable? Even gals with admittedly ZERO sense of a sweet tooth can crave the cloying while pregnant!
- Gobstoppers candy.
- Bluebell ice cream.
- Klondike bars.
- Sour Jelly Beans.
- Dr. Pepper.
- Lemon sherbet.
- Fig Newtons.
- Strawberry tarts from Swiss Pastry Shop. (Not a sponsor, but . . . shout out!)
- Strawberry ice cream or cherry pie.
- Taco Bell cinnamon twists.
- Dairy Queen ice cream sundaes with extra, EXTRA hot fudge.
- Black forest sundae from Braum’s.
- Sno cones.
- CHOCOLATE! We had responses of chocolate milk, chocolate shakes, straight up chocolate, and even chocolate croissants. The struggle is real.
Good for You
We saved this category for last because, honestly, we’re a little bit ashamed of our own pregnancy indulgences and A LOT impressed by these healthier cravings. You go, mama!
- Kale salad and grapefruit.
- Lebanese cabbage rolls.
- Fresh plums (the juicy, squishy kind).
- Frozen grapes.
- Lentil soup.
- Salad! Greek, chicken, etc.
- Anything avocado.
- Blackberries. Like, two cartons per day.
What were some of your craziest pregnancy cravings — or aversions?