Goodbye Fallopian Tubes :: My Bilateral Salpingectomy Experience

Disclaimer :: I am in no way a medical professional; this is solely my experience with the surgery. Please consult your doctor if you have any questions or concerns regarding your own health. Also, this post contains affiliate links. Fort Worth Moms may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. Thanks for supporting Fort Worth Moms!  

I knew in 2018, after I had my daughter, that I was only going to get pregnant one more time, and then I was done. So when I had my son in February 2020, my husband and I knew our family was complete.

After my son, I tried an IUD, but after having complications, I had to have it removed and didn’t want to be on the pill because of past issues. After consulting my doctor, husband, and mama, I decided to have a bilateral salpingectomy (fallopian tube removal). My doctor told me that it will reduce the risk of ectopic pregnancy more than just having my tubes tied and may reduce my chance of ovarian cancer in the future. 

Having surgery is always scary, but having surgery during a pandemic was downright terrifying. My husband or mama weren’t able to be there to help support me and keep me calm.

surgery during pandemic

A Month Before Surgery

Thankfully I didn’t have to go in for a full pre-op appointment because my OBGYN was the one performing the surgery. I just had to do the usual update of medical history questions, verbal consents, and schedule a day for my COVID-19 test.

The Week Before Surgery

I had my COVID test two days before my surgery. Although I knew the area where the office was, I didn’t know where the office was, so I almost missed my appointment. The test itself was no fun. I started crying from it, although the nurse was very nice! She gave me my health portal login information and Hibiclens soap to use the night before and morning of my surgery. If you’ve never had to use it — BE GLAD!

I was so nervous! This whole week my anxiety was through the roof!

Day of Surgery

I had to be at the hospital at 5:00 a.m. sharp for check-in. I waited in the little lobby before being taken to my room. Once in the room, I had my vitals taken. I washed off once again with wet wipes on my tummy and the front of my thighs, then dressed in a gown. I signed my paperwork and waited to be taken to a pre-op room.

Once there, I signed more paperwork, and then anesthesiologist and my OBGYN came to speak to me. My nurse checked on me numerous times. I got a lidocaine shot in my hand right before the IV was inserted.

I was then moved to the operating room. The last thing I remember was being positioned on the operating table and thinking how it looked nothing like an operating room on TV.

I woke up to movement and tried to sit up but my nurse gently pushed me back down and said, “It’s okay. We’re just going to post-op right now.” I laid back down and tried to lick my lips, but they were VERY chapped and hurt. The first words out of my mouth were, “Does anyone have any chapstick?” I still laugh about that. Come to find out, when they were removing the breathing tube I bit my lip really hard and caused it to swell up so bad I could hardly talk. My nurse got me the chapstick and some ice chips to help with the dry throat.

After I was cleared, I returned to my day room where I was monitored a little longer and given juice and crackers. Once I was coherent and able to use the restroom, I was discharged, and my husband rushed to get me.


curled up in bed

The Following Week

I was on bedrest (more like “couch rest” as I couldn’t climb into bed for a week and just slept on the couch the whole time) until I was able to walk around on my own. Nightgowns and loose fitting cotton shorts were my best friends! Even the tiniest bit of pressure made me want to cry from the pain.

The first two days my husband had to help me up from the couch and the toilet. I had to breathe deep and cough every time I needed to stand up to help let out the extra gas in my abdomen. Coughing on demand is no easy feat when your chest feels like it’s about to explode.

My right shoulder was the worst pain I had. I forget the exact reason why, but I was told that it was the most common complaint. Walking around helped, but I got tired easily and didn’t walk much for the first few days. Every little movement made it hurt worse.

I slept on my back the whole week as moving hurt not only my shoulder, but also my belly. I had bandages on my belly button and on both the left and right side of my belly just above my pelvic region. The incision on my left side was bruised very badly and hurt the most out of the three.

After day three, recovery got better every day. I was able to remove the bandages with ease and didn’t need to replace them. I was able to stand for short periods to wash some dishes or make a quick dinner. Being able to do a few chores helped me not feel so useless.

Hubby still had to help me shower as I couldn’t bend or squat. All parenting duties were on him as I couldn’t reach or lift the kids at all. Even though he got short-tempered at times (who wouldn’t?), he handled it amazingly and made recovery a lot easier for me.

Week Two of Recovery

Everyday tasks were easier as my shoulder no longer hurt and I was able to bend to my knee. I still couldn’t bend to the floor or pick up the kids, so hubby still had those duties.

My belly and right side incisions didn’t bruise, and you now can hardly tell that there were stitches there. My left side incision was no longer a yellow ball lined with purple, but instead a small light yellow bruise with red rings.

At my two week, post-op appointment I was cleared to resume normal life at my own pace.

I can lift my kids now but can only hold them for short periods before I have to put them back down. I can stand and walk with ease as if nothing happened. Jeans are part of my wardrobe once again, although I still can’t wear a belt because my insides still feel bruised and bloated.

I’m back in my own bed finally and get to cuddle with hubby and babies again. For my husband and me, two kids is plenty, and we couldn’t be happier with our little family.

Born and raised in Fort Worth, Ginni (pronounced Jih-nee) graduated from Paschal High School, and then attended Texas Wesleyan University and Tarrant County College as an English and Spanish double-major. Currently she is wife to Jose and mommy to Elena (2018) and Santiago (2020). In her spare time, she enjoys embroidery and reading novels. Jesus and coffee are the two things that get her through the day.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here