The holidays are here! This is my most favorite time of the year, not because of the presents but because of the fun family traditions you get to start with your family.
Growing up most of us had family traditions that were passed down from generation to generation. I told my mother the other day, I remembered as a child we got oranges and pecans in our stocking. She stated that is what her parents gave her, so she followed suit. Those types of traditions are always fun and meaningful, but what about starting a family tradition of your own? There are so many great things to do as a family, and I am here to list a few.
- Slumber Party Time. A family tradition for my family is a big slumber party. Even though my parents and sister live local, we still stay overnight at my parents’ house. Everyone comes over before bedtime and we bake cookies for Santa. We watch a movie together and all head to bed to wake up in the morning to a mound of presents. Because everyone came over the night before, we get to open presents together. This is a great tradition because despite the fact that we are grown with our own families, my parents get to wake each morning with their grandkids and get to see their faces open all their presents. And although I am a parent, I will say I still love ripping those presents open, too.
- Game Day. A great family tradition to start is a new game each year. Each year we go down to our local department store and find a game for the whole family to enjoy. After opening all the presents, we pull out our new game and let the fun begin! Keep it simple, like using a deck of cards, or go all out with an intricate board game. Playing a game together keeps you and your family talking and active and not just in a food coma in front of the television.
- Pancakes and Pajamas. Whether you stay overnight together or not, what better tradition than cooking together?! Some of my family does not stay the night with us, but they do arrive very early in the morning in their pajamas and we all cook breakfast together. Our main course is pancakes. And since it is Christmas, we go all out on our pancakes. We also make eggs, bacon, and sausage. The kids love washing and cutting the fruit. It is a family affair.
- Ugly Sweater Contest. Or ugly pajama contest! Either in morning or afternoon, this is a fun way to do what families do best — contests. Competition is always healthy. Have everyone dress in an ugly sweater or ugly pajamas, and the winner gets a gift card to a local restaurant or fast food. We like to give little ones a few gifts from the dollar store.
- Family Play. Try making funny costumes, read books aloud, or put together a play. Have the kids get everything ready from the storylines and costumes to who gets what parts. After all is set, what better way than to spend Christmas day than acting out A Christmas Story as a family.
These are just a few but there are so many more! Check out our Pinterest page for additional ideas.