It wasn’t my first time, but it felt all the same. The responsibility weighed heavily on my shoulders. The honor to participate was met with a sobering gratitude for those who paved the way.
May the act of voting always be succeeded by an act of maturity despite the results.
As with any election, seconds after the results are made public, an emotional rollercoaster might commence inside of you. From feelings of somber disappointment to elated victory, your emotions are completely valid. Acknowledge your feelings and give yourself permission to sit with those emotions until you are ready to take the next step. Political campaigns can sometimes be a steady marathon with an all-out sprint to the finish line, leaving you feeling taxed at the end. So no matter what emotions you might be feeling today, this post-election life offers a new opportunity to exercise emotional growth and to stand firm on your core values.
Let us unite together as mothers, friends, neighbors, and citizens of this country to constitute a safe space that accepts our differences and bonds our similarities. Regardless of who has been slated to take office, we are all appointed to follow the decree of our own lives. We must work with the unique gifts that have been individually entrusted to us so that we can intricately weave them with others for a greater purpose. We have the capability and opportunity to design a life built on open and honest conversations that lead to greater understanding of each other.
May these five reminders bring guidance to your life as we navigate the future together:
- Love your family: Life is too short to harbor negative feelings. If someone close to you voted differently, lean in to listen and learn.
- Show kindness to others: Follow life’s golden rule while embracing your individuality. Acknowledge diversity and greet it with inclusion.
- Serve your community: Giving what you have (time, resources, or monetary gifts) to others in your community can only deepen your roots, resulting in a greater impact.
- Pursue your dreams and model the importance of commitment: Life will always present obstacles to overcome, and those who embody the discipline of commitment and dedication will find the outcomes they are seeking.
- Appreciate your American citizenship: Do not take for granted the freedoms you have as an American citizen. Be thankful for this country and do your part to shape it into the world you want to live in.
Post-election life might look different, but so has this year. When met with challenges, we have the opportunity to grow, adapt and transform into a better version of ourselves. May we stand on the foundations of respect, empathy, and inclusion. Let us aspire to accept what we cannot change and respectfully support what has come to be.
Be Kind. Be Safe. Be YOU.